Saturday, July 18, 2009

40 miles! - Ben


I reached two milestones today. The main one being that I beat my own distance record and went a full 40 miles! It was fun and I was feeling pretty good for most of the ride.

The last 5 miles were tough. The worst part was that I was probably about half a mile from home and I realized that I still needed to ride for 2 miles to meet my goal. It did cross my mind to call it a day and say that I almost made it to 40.. but it would have been a shame to make it that far only to fall short of my goal. So I went around the neighborhood a few times.

THE SECOND MILESTONE is that I had my first significant wipe out. It was around mile 10, on a section of the greenway that isn't well maintained. The path was a little damp from the storm we had yesterday and I hit a patch of mud, or moss or something and my wheels just fell out from underneath me... I wasn't even on a turn. The path was completely straight at this point.

I was going over 15 mph, so I slid a good 10 feet or more on the pavement. To prove how slippery it was, my shirt and shorts didnt rip at all.. slid 10 feet and no rips? crazy.

I got up and this guy who saw the whole thing came up and offered some help. My handlebars were out of line, but I was able to fix them. Other than a few brush burns, I was fine.. a little shaken, though.

Stats:
Time Moving: 3:09:46
Distance: 40.31
Average Speed: 12.7 mph
Max Speed: 31.2

3 comments:

  1. Just curious-Do you wear butt-pads? I went for a 3 mile ride & had to come home because my arse was aching. I have lotsa cushion too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! yeah, I wear bike shorts that have a pad in them. They're NOT the spandex kind... Plus, you dont really get a sore butt after the first few rides... I guess your body gets used to it.

    ReplyDelete